Skip to main content

Guam 2020: Post 18 Camping at Tarague Beach Part 5 - Beach Walk




After lunch we emptied our tent and loaded our car.  The pathfinders worked on striking camp.  When that was accomplished, they could all go swimming.  We decided we wanted to go for another walk down the beautiful beach.  There is not enough opportunity to be in a place like this.  My photos only begin to tell what we saw on our walk.  The color of the water surpassed all I had seen so far on any of our trips to Tarague beach.  My camera caught the colors very well.



Yesterday while we were walking on the beach on of the boys had found the exoskeleton of a lobster and given it to a girl, who then gave it to me.  It was like it was painted with watercolor greens and purples and blues.  I also found two legs that seemed to go with it. We don't know what species it is yet, but it is very beautiful and I would like to get an ID of it.


Limestone formations.  Waves rushing in.  Video clip.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipP0SJgnydSCo5zLJddfnYIzMi2A-RaihzH39tv1



Somebody's picnic blanket.









We were looking for baby sharks in the pools because Andrew had seen some there on Friday.  Instead we found the exoskeleton of a crab.



I found a pile of hermit crabs surrounding one empty shell that was larger.  I wondered if someone put them all there.  I have heard stories of people watching a whole group of them making a real estate trade all at once.  The biggest one moves into the bigger shell, which opens up his shell for the next biggest hermit crab and one by one everyone gets a better deal.  What would our world be like if humans helped each other out this way?  I wonder who is going to get that big black and white shell?  The one on the right or the one on the left?



Amy told me she had seen a pink colored shell on the beach during her early morning walk, larger than the average shell on the beach, and something she had never seen before.  She was tempted to walk on past, but remembered me and that I would stop and look at it and try to figure out what it was.  She showed me a photo, and I didn't know what it was either.



So I was watching for it as I walked on the beach.  Thankfully Rob was with me, and he knew exactly what it was.  It is a cuttle bone from inside a Cuttlefish.  The color of this one was pale pink.  I am guessing it was about 8 inches long. Wikipedia says it is a chambered gas filled bone, that the Cuttlefish uses for buoyancy.  You might have seen one before inside a Parakeet cage, as it is a good source of calcium for small animals.  As an artist I was interested to learn that the genus name of the Cuttlefish is Sepia.  The Greeks and Romans collected the brown colored liquid that a Cuttlefish shoots out of their siphon when alarmed, and used it for ink.  Sepia now refers to a rich brown color in the art world.




I'm so thankful for my adventure partner, Rob, and that he is patient with all the time I take to look at things and learn from nature.  It is such a blessing to see things in Guam together.  I really enjoyed this trip to the beach.  I hope you did too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two