Skip to main content

Guam 2020: Post 16 Camping at Tarague Beach Part 3 - Through the jungle to the Starry Sea

Rob had his eyes set on a clearing made for power lines that headed out through the jungle of the Pati Preserve.  You could see that cars drive there sometimes, but it wasn't a road. There was some shade on one side of the cleared area for us to walk in.  Hopefully we wouldn't get sunburned.  As we walked, we noticed what we were seeing along the jungle edge.  There were things there that we did not see at AWR.

We watched the butterflies and I was able to get a very nice photo of one of the Blue-banded King Crow, with his wings open wide.  Along this path they were feeding on the flowers of a vine-like plant.



I still didn't see any eggs or caterpillars, so I am still wondering what their life habits are and how long they live.



I saw one Golf Friterary, but it paused long enough for me to get a photo of the inside and the outside of its wings.  Both are beautiful!



We saw butterflies that were black that reminded us of some kind of Swallowtail.  In fact it is related to the Tiger Swallowtail.  It is called the Common Mormon (Papilio polytes).  I noticed that the forewings move very fast and independently from the hind wings which barely moved showing only the lower half of the butterfly in a photograph.





An image of the whole butterfly can be found online in the Butterflies of Micronesia, 7a, on plate 2, page 14.
http://guaminsects.myspecies.info/sites/guaminsects.myspecies.info/files/ButterfliesOfMicronesia.pdf



We started noticing spiders along the edge of the jungle.  There were the large Hawaiian Garden Spiders that we see at our house at AWR.  They make a large orb style web, and when I say large, I mean very large, maybe 2 feet across with guy lines stretching even further.  The guy lines are strong too.  I noticed that I could run into them and they wouldn't necessarily break.


Then I noticed that there were spider made structures that were more like a high rise apartment buildings, maybe 2 feet across and 3 - 5 feet height, with a on large spider on duty somewhere in the middle, but colored differently than the yellow Garden Spider.


It looked like there would be no chance for a butterfly who flew in.  But then I discovered that Common Mormon butterflies are either very smart or have better eyesight than the spiders expected.  I saw one fly in, pause for a minute, appear to get caught, and then turn and fly out of the spider trap.  I wonder if it realized the great danger it was in.



I had seen some Blue-banded King Crow butterfly wings caught in other webs.  The body was gone, and only one wing remained.



I think we saw three different colorings of these giant spiders, most of which were around 3 inches across.



We found some jungle plants that look like a cross between a tree and a fern.  Looking them up, I learned they are called a Micronesian Cycad (Cycas micronesia).  I saw something similar when I lived on Pohnpei.  When I saw them I felt like I was really on a tropical island.


Online, I learned it used to be very abundant in Guam, but now is greatly threatened due to several factors.  There is a scale that attacks it, the longhorn beetle causes stem damage, an invasive snail eats young leaflets, and humans destroy its habitat.  A count in 2007 found only 87 Micronesian Cycads left on the island, down from 886 individual plants in 2004.


Our walk left the powerlines when they made a right hand turn and headed up the mountain and a jeep path continued to the left toward the ocean.

Once we were out at Scout's beach we saw a beautiful cove stretching around the the right and toward a limestone point.  My foot had been cramping so I walked out into the water to see if the coolness would soothe it.  The wavelets were just hitting the top of my foot, so I went in a little deeper and enjoyed the water.  I wasn't paying attention to the waves and a bigger one snuck up and went almost to my knees followed quickly by one almost to my hips.  I wasn't planning on getting wet, but I certainly was now.  Oh well, it quite nice and cooled me off.  You aren't supposed to get into the water in this area because there are a lot of clashing currents and many people have been pulled out to sea here, so though I was quite tempted, I didn't go splashing into the water for a swim.


We started walking to the left, toward camp.  The cramps had subsided in my foot.  There was cool shade on the high edge of the sand to keep us out of the equitorial sun.  Limestone rock formations make pillars and tables for the water to rush around.  Pools reflected aqua and torquoise blue.  The reef here is made of limestone too, and not coral.  Waves that crash on the reef often have the same blue.  I really wished I could see what was in the water in this area, but I am limited to the sea creatures that wash up on the beach.



The sand is mostly white, but is also part orangish tan.   The tan particles are star sand. They are the shell of a single celled organism that lives in the ocean and estuaries called foraminifera. You can find star sand on Guam and also in Japan.  Forams, for short, also come in other shapes.  Here is a page that tells you more.
https://www.burkemuseum.org/collections-and-research/geology-and-paleontology/invertebrate-and-micropaleontology/puget-sound-0


About this time my camera ran out of battery power, so I didn't get to photograph the rest of our walk.  So I decided to come back tomorrow and see what else I could find.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two