Skip to main content

Guam 2020: Post 14 Camping at Tarague Beach, Part 1 - Friday Night

I could hardly get up out of bed this morning.  I was so tired, even after sleeping.  I didn't head out and go walking.  I didn't feel like eating.  So i just sat on the couch to try to get myself awake enough for tutoring.  Then I had diarrhea.  That's the problem.  I thought I didn't have long until I had to start work.  So I immediately swallowed some charcoal capsules and prayed for recovery.  Then to my relief, I realized I still had one more hour until my first student, not just 10 minutes.  That was a blessing.  The charcoal helped.  I was feeling much better at 8:30 AM.

When Rob got home at noon, we ate lunch and packed things to take camping with us.  We were going with the pathfinders to the northern point of the island, up on the Air Force Base.  Even before we landed on Guam, we told them we wanted to join them again this year.  So far we have been able to go every time we have come to Guam.  Our names had to be cleared with the Military and put on a list so we could get in the gate and drive to our special destination for the weekend.  If that was taken care of, all we had to do is show our ID at the gate and they let us in, but we only had permission to drive straight to the beaches, and not drive on any other road.



We we arrived,  a tent was already set up for us, and supper was almost ready.  On the way up we had stopped at KMart and bought two camping chairs and a pair of slip-on beach shoes for Rob, so we were ready.



Supper was a soup made with corn and potatoes and I think coconut milk.  But wow, it was full of oil! I have never eaten soup that is so slick and leaves such a coated feeling in my mouth.  I don't know what kind of oil the cook used, but it was almost inedible. There was some nice honeydew and cantaloupe for dessert, and that helped.



It was dark, but Rob and I took out on a walk through the campground parking area for some exercise.  We didn't have enough steps for the day yet.

Next was worship, and the kids sang and sang.  Lee played the stringed bass.  Dennis and several kids played the guitar, and Alissa played the ukulele.  There wasn't a microphone, so we couldn't hear much of the worship talk presentation by quiet-spoken kids, but they promised there would be one tomorrow.



We were glad to get to bed.  They had given us an inflatable queen sized mattress to sleep on, and we brought our bedding from the house.  I was feeling pretty humid and sticky by then.  There was some salt spray blowing in from the ocean, and our tent was right by the ocean.  But with all three windows in the tent wide open, I could feel some breeze.  We had the tent farthest from the Pathfinders so we had some privacy.  No one would be walking by our tent on the way to the bathroom.

Speaking of bathrooms, the girls bathroom was flooded with sewage.  I went to use it right when I got there and saw a puddle with human waste and toilet paper included.  I carefully walked around it not positive what it was yet.  When finished, I flushed the toilet and sewage bubbled up from the drain in the floor.  Now I knew for certain what it was.  I didn't know how we were going to get through the weekend because that bathroom was very unsanitary.  I talked to a girl's counselor.  She too was concerned.  A phone number had been called but with no response from the people in charge of the campground.  They decided that the girls would be sent into the boys bathroom one group at a time, alternating with the boys.  I decided a visit to the jungle would be more pleasant.

Sometime in the night, I heard it start to rain.  Rain starts all of a sudden in Guam, and it usually rains hard.  We quickly zipped all three windows, but rain drops were still blowing in, under the edge of the handkerchief-sized rain fly above the tent.  Oh well, that helped keep us cooler with our ventilation all shut off.  When it had stopped, we opened windows again, and let in the cool breeze.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two