Skip to main content

Guam 5: Hike to Sella Bay

This Sabbath's hike was to Sella Bay, just south of Adventist World Radio, on the island of Guam.  You can see this view quite close to the beginning of the hike. For those who have been to AWR Guam before, you might be interested to see all the new towers that are up and working.


 We joined a pretty large group that was going on the hike. 



Alyssa was my main hiking companion, so she is going to be your tour guide on this tour of the Sella Bay trail.


 The trail started out through some savanna land of grasses and hills.



 Wild Bamboo Orchids bloomed tall in the grassland.  In the photo above you can see some lavender dots.  Those are the orchids.


Note the Katydid type insect on the on flower below, on the right.  It was a surprise found when I looked at the photos on the computer.


The trail is only about 1.5 miles.  You know you are getting closer to the ocean when you start walking through the jungle.  There is even some oozy mud to navigate.  Someone had laid down coconut palm branches for us to walk on, making me think of the day that people laid down palm branches for Jesus to walk on.


Just a bit further and all of a sudden, you know you are there.  The Spanish Bridge, built in the late 1700's over the Sella River, comes into view.  Beyond it is the ocean.


The bridge is still in quite good condition, and strong enough to confidently walk over.  Once again Alyssa is our tour guide to the size and structure of the bridge.


 Rob enjoyed resting among the foliage growing on the bridge, in the shade.


The photo below shows the view to the right from the mouth of the little River.


 This next photo shows the view to the left.


But before we started exploring, Alyssa and I sat down on a rock in the river and soaked our feet in the fresh water.  Little fish came to nibble on Alyssa's feet. 



All of a sudden I was struck with the amazing thought that I was sitting with my feet in a river on January 21.  Take that to mean that in the middle of winter, I was sitting comfortably, without coat, hat, gloves or snow boots!  What a great feeling!  The water was not cold, but rather comfortably refreshing after a hike in tropical weather. 

Near the bridge, not far into the jungle, is the remains of a stone oven.  Here is a link to another stone oven found on Guam. It has broken down over the years, but it's purpose is still clear.


Just steps from the stone oven was a grinding stone.  The link tells you about more stone tools that the ancient Chammoro used. 



After hiking, Mr. Quaile was hungry for some coconut.  


He pulled out a large bush knife, and easily whacked those hard shells open, getting to the yummy mature meat inside.  Then he generously shared with everyone.  Coconut tastes good everyday, but is best after a hike, right at the edge of the ocean, where the trees grow wild.  

Matt Marsh had a hammer along with him, he used it to get into coconuts in a different way.


 He was successful. 


Alyssa was the most helpful of all.  She climbed the coconut tree and knocked down green coconuts, and I got to drink some of the juice.  I haven't had a tastier one since we drank them when shipwrecked on Ant Atoll, Pohnpei.


Here is Alyssa with her prize.  She is a true island girl.  I think she is close to qualifying for the Pathfinder Tree Climbing honor.


 The hike back was just as nice.  I think we all would love to go back down there again to this wild place full of history.


This is Priscella from Brazil.  She was delighted she finished the hike.  She told me that when she got out to the water's edge, she finally knew she was really on an island.  Sella Bay makes Guam really feel like a tropical island.





Comments

  1. Oh, I can almost imagine I am right there with you! What a beautiful hike!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two