Skip to main content

Guam 2: A Walk at Nimetz Park

Our first week on Guam has flown by quickly.  Before I left home, a friend who has traveled much to Europe told me that if you drink a very large amount of water the day before you fly, and then as much as possible while you are on the plane, that it will be easier to adjust to jet lag at your new destination.  I decided to try it and see what would happen, because I have struggled to adjust in times past.  The first morning I woke up at 2:30AM, as expected.  Then I couldn't stay up past around 7:30PM the next night.  Each day I got up a little later and went to bed a little later.  I would not say that water was a miracle cure, but I didn't feel as stressed about the time adjustment as I have in the past.  It did feel easier.

We arrived on Thursday evening Guam time, after leaving home in the afternoon on Tuesday before.  On Friday we went to worship at the station, and got wifi and cell phones.  Then we drove around to go shopping.  I learned where the best produce is now, and where to get the best deal on tofu.  The stores I used to shop at are still open, and a couple new ones to  enjoy, including a Payless Grocery store in Agat.  I was delighted that Leeda still had her produce stand still open in Agat, near the mayor's office.  What was even nicer is that she remembered us.  She had many nice bananas available, and I also picked out some turmeric root and tamarind pods to make tea.  She gave me the whole bag for free for our first visit.  What a special gift.


We live in the little town of Agat, Guam.  Here is a link to more information about the place we live. 

Sabbath morning, of course we were up early, so soon after the sun was up, we drove to the nearest beach at Nimetz Park, Agat, and took a walk in the warm January sunshine. 



Nimetz Park has several freshly painted gazebos, free of the unpleasant graffiti on their walls four years ago.




Rob pauses by the peaceful water inside the reef.  The sand is course, but the water is warm.


My tender toes fresh from winter enjoyed being set free from snow boots and thick socks, but aren't calloused enough to endure much of the course sand yet.



 We were the only ones out just after the sun rose this Sabbath morning.


Oh, I guess we weren't the only ones out.  Roosters were crowing from the neighboring homes and jungle.  This female Banana Spider, Argiope appensa, hung in her large web in the bushes.  She looks different on her top side.  Click the link to learn more. The females can be over 2 inches in size, and the males are only 0.75 inches. This kind of spider is very common on the island since the brown tree snakes wiped out the birds that eat spiders on the island.  A survey found there are 40x more spiders on Guam than on surrounding snake free islands.

This week there was also a Brown Tree Snake outside my back door, but I did not take a photo of the evil creature.  I detoured to the front door instead.  You will have to do research about the snake yourself.  I personally do not like them one bit for all the destruction they have done on this island.


While walking along the shoreline, I looked down and spotted this almost perfect Hebrew Cone Conus ebraeus.  Don't think that I know everything, I didn't know what it was when I saw it on the sand, I just go do some searches when I get back to wifi to find out more about it.  (Go ahead and click the link to learn more about it, too.)  I had to search to find out what that spider with the yellow belly was too.  I find it fascinating to learn about God's creation that lives and grows near where I live, where ever I am in the world.

Later, we went to the closest SDA church, Agat, the church we attended before, most of the time.  Going into the church felt like returning to a home church also.  We still know many of the people and were warmly welcomed.  They made us go through the line first as visitors this week, but they told us that next potluck we can be regulars.  That felt really nice.


After a nice Potluck at Agat Church, we met Tina Heinrich at a parking lot and followed her to where a group was gathering for a walk to Tarzan Falls.  The views were nice, the trail was pleasant, only 1.4 miles, one way, with mud only at the very beginning.  A light wind kept us from getting too hot. 


 There were many bamboo orchids blooming along the way.  


These Orchids grow tall in the Savannah like grasslands in Guam.  Here is a link to learn more about them. 


This is what you see first, just before water starts going down over the falls.


Walk down the far side, and this is the first level of the falls.


Just below the short drop, is where this giant rock is balanced on two other rocks, making a picnic shelter, in case there is a rainstorm.


The main falls stream down rocks like long white hair.  The air is pleasant with the cooling mist from the falling water.

If you want to learn more about the falls, and what the trail is like in the rainy season, follow this link to see someone else's adventure through giant mud puddles.  I didn't think to take photos of our dry trail because it seemed insignificant, but maybe I should have so you could see what it looked like for us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two