Skip to main content

Pohnpei, Part 5: At the School


 One of the best things about Pohnpei SDA School is the students.  While Rob was working on special projects, the rest of us got to spend Thursday and Friday mornings with them.  The next week would be spring break.


My daughter, Araya, and I started the morning by telling stories for worship in the classrooms of willing teachers.  Araya got a little taste of what it was like to stand in front of a classroom of students for the first time.


She spent the rest of the morning in classrooms helping students one-on-one, or grading papers for teachers.


She fell in love with the whole working with little island kids thing, and didn't want to leave the island when it was time to go home.



 

William spent Thursday morning with this first grade classroom. Envangeline is their teacher.

 

 He was really nervous that he wouldn't remember what you have to know in 1st grade.  I told him not to worry about that.  He knows it all and more now.  He helped kids with phonics, told a story, and went with them to chapel.

Those first grade boys thought he was the greatest.  He liked going to gym with them the best.


I spent the morning one-on-one, evaluating some students who were struggling with reading.  I wish I knew more in this area, so I could really make a difference.  But I was able to pick out three with clear needs for vision therapy, and left the lady in charge of tutoring with a list of things to do with these students to help their eyes focus solidly on each letter.  Another student simply needs more help with sounds and putting letters together.


There wasn't time to spend with more students because of the chapel schedule and recess time.  I never take a boy away from time to run and play.  That alone could cause reading problems.


I wanted so desperately to stay on island longer and work with more students.  Learning to read makes all the difference in their education and in their life.


But even without extra special help, most of the kids at SDA School are learning. 


You might remember Miller Benjamin.  He was a teacher when we were there, and later principal of the school.  He is retired now, but not inactive.  He now goes to the public schools all around the island and is working to raise reading skills. 


He wrote a grant proposal for some I Pads and special reading software to use in the school to help kids learn better.  He thinks that kids are more eager to read on a screen then in a book.  Maybe it is a trick that will work.  I was happy to hear about what he was doing.


I heard that recent test scores revealed that only about 20% of public high school graduates on island were ready for college.  I think it is likely opposite of that for the SDA School kids.


All these happy faces.  So much to learn, and so much ahead of them.  Each with their own story and so precious.  I just love it that they are still wearing the same uniform, and look so much the same.  I felt like I was able to take off with them, just where I had left off 25 years ago.  I didn't know much about what I was doing when I was there before, but some learning in that 3rd grade class still took place.  Besides maturity, I have a degree now, and some experience, which came in handy during this short visit..  But I so much wish I could have stayed and done more.  Maybe a little because I wish to make up for what I wasn't able to do then. (Of course, I know no one can do that.)  And maybe more, because the love in my heart for these kids has swelled, and I just plain wish I could spend more time with them.  I feel like I could be successful now.

But there is even more for me to learn, if I am going to be able to do what I want to do next time I go.  I want to know more about how to catch up a student who is not yet reading fluently.  I want to help the school set up a program that will help students be more successful from the beginning, and be ready to help new students who enter at a latter grade to also catch up.  If you can read well, you can do almost anything.

These kids are so precious.  Every one of them.   They learn about Jesus here.  I am so glad Pohnpei SDA school is there for them.  I am so glad for all the people who are giving a year of their lives or more, to teach these kids.

And now I'm praying for a great crop of teachers for next year.  Do you know anyone who should go teach there next year?

By the way, it is only $70 a month to sponsor a child's tuition at this great school.  There are some kids who might not be able to come back this month and finish the school year, if someone doesn't sponsor their tuition.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two