Skip to main content

Simple Life

We have been on Guam exactly one full week.  Getting over jet lag has been our biggest job, and I think that has been accomplished.  Getting over sickness is yet to be finalized.  I have had it pretty bad the last few days.  Last night it changed to deep coughing for me.  I am pretty sure that I am not safe to socialize with, so I cancelled our plans to go to the Happy Family Church (meets outside, mostly with outer island people) this Sabbath and to spend time with the Krums.  Instead we will spend time with our own little happy Family and go exploring around the island if we feel up to it.  Relaxing together sounds very pleasant indeed.

Our life has quickly changed from the frantic pace of December with music practice, rehearsal and performances, and packing for GYC and Guam, to a much slower pace with few responsibilities.  This morning I felt like God was telling me that He had brought me to "green" pastures for a while.  Thank you, God.

Our life here is quite simple.  We have a simple two bedroom apartment to use with white tile floor, white walls, a few closets, a little white tile bathroom, and a small kitchen with refrigerator, electric stove (overlook the rust), one built in microwave (not working), counter-top microwave (working), washer and dryer, table and chairs (the very tall style), a pretty green couch and love seat with flower pillows (comfy), coffee table upholstered foot rests that slide under it, some dishes, a 5 gallon jug for filtered water from the station (AWR), some towels, beds, pillows, iron and what we brought in four suitcases and carry ons.  I like how our life has changed from a large house and property and everything there is to manage, down a pretty short list.  There have been times I have tried to simplify back at home, but it always seems like it is such hard work there, because there are so many things screaming for attention.  We have gone to the store to purchase a few things, but if we can, we are just making do.

For example, the day I felt the worse, I was quite cold with a fever.  I needed a blanket to lay under on the couch.  There is one light blanket on each bed of the house, but I didn't think I needed my queen size blanket on the couch.  But there are some large sized beach towels here, big enough, at least for me.  When I was really cold, I used two.  (see the photo in Araya's blog post)

Our house is small, so there isn't much to clean.  We don't have many things, so there aren't many things to put away, and there is enough room for everything.

I thought I needed a few more kitchen towels.  I used them like some people use paper towels, but instead they can be washed and used again.  Our apartment came with four kitchen towels, but they have been getting dirty and wet faster then we are running loads of wash.  So I thought I'd get maybe four more towels.  At the store I found out that would cost around $14!  I was going to give up and make do, when I remember the light weight, beach-sized towels I had seen.  They were only $3.99 each.


 I bought a light blue one, cut it in quarters last night, and now am using some of my free time to hand hem the two cut edges of the new kitchen towels.  They cost only $1 each.  Their size isn't exactly conventional, but the dishes we hand wash won't mind.  Last night we were able to hem two towels.  It took less time then I thought it would.



Araya and William are doing their school work every morning.  We brought all our books with us (except the two that got forgotten and are at the moment in the mail on their way here).  Araya brought a violin with her to practice.  William couldn't bring a cello, but he is spending a few minutes on the recorder every day learning a new instrument.

Here is a photo of what our window gecko friend looks like from our side of the window.  (Close your eyes if you don't like lizards, this one is really for my Pohnpei friends.)

Photo by William of Heavenly Light Photography
 (Whose camera is malfunctioning, so unfortunately he isn't posting much on his own blog)


We are thankful for the richness of our life at home.  But for now it is so good to have a simple life.  We give thanks to God for all.

P.S.  And just so you know, I am writing with two audiences in mind, my current blog readers, and also my children and future generations that might want to know what it was like when we lived for a while on Guam.



Comments

  1. Awww, the good life!

    You described exactly how I feel when we spend time in Arizona during the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just talked with a new friend tonight about organizing and simplifying our homes. She and I are on similar quests to do so. We have in mind a simpler life almost like you're talking about!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two