Skip to main content

Unspeakable Gift of Love and Book Review: One Thousand Gifts


"Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift."  2 Corinthians 9:15.  
Have you thought lately about God's "unspeakable gift"?   The gift of His life for ours.  It is a gift we can barely begin to understand, and the challenges of our life cause us to quickly forget about it.  Yet it is the most amazing, important gift ever given.  
     "The revelation of God's love to man centers in the cross. Its full significance tongue cannot utter; pen cannot portray; the mind of man cannot comprehend. . . . Christ crucified for our sins, Christ risen from the dead, Christ ascended on high, is the science of salvation that we are to learn and to teach."  God's Amazing Grace, p. 178.2
The cross.  Cruel torture of an innocent man.  Jesus taking the punishment we deserve on Himself.  God allowing all the wrath against sin to fall on His Son.  God suffering.  Jesus crucified for the sins of humans.  Already he had lowered himself from pure innocence and became a human, and now he lowered himself even further and voluntarily lay himself down to die, in my place, in your place, for every sinner in the world.
     "Who, being in the form of God, counted it not a thing to be grasped to be on an equality with God, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being made in the likeness of men; and being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, becoming obedient even unto death, yea, the death of the cross" (Philippians 2:6-8, R.V., margin).
 Just how much of your comfortable life, your riches, your paycheck, your bank account would you empty to rescue someone about to die.  How deep is your love for other humans?  Would you allow your son to be changed into a worm, and lower himself in all ways, to go live on a worm farm, to attempt to show blind, deaf, uncaring worms the way of escape.  Would you allow your son to to die for worms?  How could God allow His son to be like sinful humans?  How could He restrain himself rescuing him when His Son was being abused, mocked, tormented.  Amazing "unspeakable gift!"
    "It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God." "Wherefore he is able also to save them to the uttermost that come unto God by him, seeing he ever liveth to make intercession for them" (Romans 8:34; Hebrews 7:25)
"Save them to the uttermost."  Complete.  Unlimited.  Always making intercession for people.  Always going to the Father and praying, pleading for them to be saved, pleading His sacrifice for you and me.  Amazing!  That God would think about us.  How much His gift provides.


    "It is through the gift of Christ that we receive every blessing. Through that gift there comes to us day by day the unfailing flow of Jehovah's goodness. Every flower, with its delicate tints and sweet fragrance, is given for our enjoyment through that one Gift. The sun and moon were made by Him; there is not a star that beautifies the heavens which He did not make. There is not an article of food upon our tables that He has not provided for our sustenance. The superscription of Christ is upon it all. Everything is supplied to man through the one unspeakable Gift, the only-begotten Son of God. He was nailed to the cross that all these bounties might flow to God's workmanship.  God's Amazing Grace,  p. 178.5
And so the gift brings other gifts, "the unfailing flow of Jehovah's goodness."  Because of Calvary, we have flowers, given through the sacrifice of Jesus.  The sun, moon and stars, gifts of grace.  Daily food, provided through His gift.  Do you recognize his signature?  Can you see God's love gifts surrounding you, given intentionally, not by chance?  Do you realize the wounds in Christ's hand's caused all we need for life to flow in an endless stream "to God's workmanship."  Us.  Me.  His creation.  He didn't make us and forget.  He gave all.  He gives all.  Daily.  His love.  His love gifts.  Unspeakable gifts of love.

Maybe you'd like to write them down daily, so you can remember.  Remember where you came from.  Remember why you are here.  Remember why you have what you have, with gratitude.

I've been reading a blog, A Holy Experience, for several years now that calls us to remember His daily gifts, writing them down so we don't forget.   Ann Voskamp's skills with words, poetry in prose, has kept me reading daily.  She just wrote a beautiful book, One Thousand Gifts, detailing her journey from pain and loss, to gratitude, joy, and a closer walk with God.  Through reading her book,  I learned more of her story, then I've read on her blog.   

I read the first few chapters, enjoying the words, and the message, but then I got to the middle of the book and there was a chapter about a homeschool mom, seeking to fill her day with beauty, and smack, her children seem to ruin it all, angry slices of toast flying from one and hitting another, hitting me.  It hit me right in the middle.  I'm just like that mom, Ann, seeking God, seeking to appreciate Him, and around me I find mess, messy counters, messy flours, messy emotions.  My heart start aching.  I know, just like Ann, that the last think I feel like doing, when my children is at odds, and my house is a mess, is to give thanks.  Thanks?  For angry jabs at brothers.  For my perfect day, life, ruined, again!  But Ann started giving thanks, and found change, and my stammering lips tried it too.  My son's anger melted.  He forgot what he was angry about, and changed the conversation.  What is this power, power I've never experienced in my whole Christian life?  I have known of the power of God, but never found it in the midst of the messy, the hard.  My heart is quicker to find bitterness, but so slow to see the gift of God.  The unspeakable gift of Himself in the midst of our messy world. 

I am thankful.  I look for Him now.  I look for His gifts, and give thanks.  I find I am now seeing, seeing differently, seeing God's love in my ordinary day, seeing God's love even where it is hard; giving thanks to God, even when it is hard, very hard.  Because there is always something to remember with thanksgiving.  There is always Jesus.  I am not alone.  The core of her message has challenged me, deepening my walk with God, changing me.  My life long cry for love, my heart aches, my bitterness, are all melting, melting away as I see, and remember God's gifts for me. 
     "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him" (1 Corinthians 2:9).
There is so much more, more love then we can imagine prepared for us.  Love in the middle of the hard parts of my life; and more love gifts waiting for us in heaven, where the mess will be completely cleaned up.  

Why don't we start now, today, recognizing God's love, and giving thanks?  (Why didn't I start long ago?)  What a joy!  Thanks be to God for His unspeakable gift.  Thanks be to God.  Thanks to Jesus.  Thank you for salvation.  Thank you for the daily gifts salvation gives.  Amazing grace for sinners. God's grace in the middle of our messed up world, because He loves us.  Love amazing! Amazing transformation provided by God.  I just can't express what it means to me.

Unspeakable gift.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two