Skip to main content

The Faith of Praise

Spring is coming, even though it is still cold outside.
Praising God in the bad times is an act of faith.  You can't see Him.  You can't see much of the good He is working out in you, but you still believe in Him, trusting Him, even in the darkness.

Abraham had been given some big promises by God, promises He could not see being fulfilled, even by the time he was old.  We have been give some amazing promises by God also.  The Bible is full of them.

Abraham could have turned away from God by the time his wife was too old to bear a child.  But the fulfillment of the promise wasn't limited by human abilities.  It was all-powerful, eternal, loving GOD who had promised!

When my day is hard, burdens and questions weighing me down, I can feel left alone to sort everything out.  The heavy load almost squishes me to nothing.  But God promises to do amazing things.  Do I turn away from the all-powerful, eternal, loving GOD when I feel sadness and disappointment, when I can't see him making all things new, when all around is disease, and brokenness?  When I can't see the sun, because of the clouds, is the sun gone?  When I can't find where my child is hiding, does he cease to exist?  When my eyes are blind to the hand of God, because of all the damage satan pouring in my life, does that mean the hand of God has been cut off?  No.  No.  No.  The sun is always there, my child is just behind the door.  And GOD's hand is strong and active, even when my eyes are closed.

So, in faith, I praise the living, unstoppable God, whose ways are beyond my ways.  I trust Him when I can see clearly what He has done, and I trust Him when it isn't so obvious He is working for my good.  He has promised to work all things for my good, and I know He will.  He did for Abraham, and many others in the Bible.  He has worked for countless others through the generations, stories of amazing miracles on behalf of those who love Him.

Romans 4:20-25 says:
  20 He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
  21 And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.
  22 And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
  23 Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
  24 But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
  25 Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.
First of all, West's Encyclopedia of American Law says that imputed means, "attributed vicariously", or "an action, fact, or quality, the knowledge of which is charged to an individual based upon the actions of another for whom the individual is responsible rather than on the individual's own acts or omissions."

When we don't see the promises being fulfilled in front of our eyes, we can still be strong in faith.  What God promises, He is able to preform.  He gave Abraham a son when is seemed completely impossible for that to happen.  Even when our life seems impossible, we can "believe on HIM that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead," Romans 4:24, a seemingly impossible happening, that really happened.  Abraham's act of faith, "giving glory to God" (verse 20), was "imputed to him for righteousness," (verse 22).  And because Jesus was raised from the dead, and His death is attributed vicariously to us, we also are raised from the dead through HIM, we are justified, made right with GOD.


Romans 5:1 - 6 continues:
  1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
  2 By whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
  3 And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience;
  4 And patience, experience; and experience, hope:
  5 And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
  6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
 Amazing words!  Amazing promise!  Even when we are without strength, going through tribulation, we can have peace with God.  We have access into His grace by faith.  And how do we show our faith?  By rejoicing!  Not in our tribulations, but rather "in the hope of the glory of GOD" (verse 2).  Rejoicing in tribulations will bring patience, experience and hope.  And there is even more to the promise in verse 5, "the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost."  What precious, precious love!  What a precious, precious promise.  Peace with God.  The love of God in our hearts!

Praise God for His promises!  I rejoice in the hope that He has set before me.  Today I will be looking for His glory revealed in me and around me.  Praise Him for His peace and love.  Praise Him that it is all based on His strength, and not on mine.

"He is mighty to save."  Zepheniah 3:17

Comments

  1. What amazing insights you have penned. Thank you for sharing. I have been blessed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two