Skip to main content

Pohnpei, Part 9, Sabbath Morning and My Pohnpeian Mothers

 

 As I walked up to the front porch porch of Pohnpei SDA Church, I was very happy to find piles of and piles of zorries still there.  Church is considered a holy place, the place to meet with God, and just like Moses at the burning bush, shoes are removed before entering the church.  For those of you not from the islands, zorries are what Americans call flip flops,  except for the Pohnpeian ones are much more durable, and cost less then those at cheap department stores in the states.  Unfortunately I missed getting a photo of those practical foot protectors, but I have the memory strong in my mind.



The church looks much the same as when I taught at the school in the late 80's.  They added a lovely stained glass window, and some new curtains.  But the benches are still the same, as is the fellowship hall, which was just built when I was there before.  I sat down and a flood of memories overwhelmed me.  Did anyone else sense what a precious privilege it was to be in church, in Kolonia, Pohnpei, that morning?

 

In the pews are hymnals in Pohneipan and English.  Some ladies led singing out of the Pohnpeian hymnal.  I was so excited when one lady shared hers with me.  I love the sound of Pohnpeian singing. 


And when groups of youth got up and sang, I'll tell the truth.  I cried.  It touched me down into my deepest middle to hear them sing.


It has been too many years since I heard singing like that, and I know it will be too long before I hear it again, if ever.  The only thing they could do to make me happier was if they had sang for a whole hour or two.  Then, maybe I would have been satisfied. 


During Sabbath School I looked out the windows at the jungle, and thought about all the lovely people there, many whose faces I still recognized.  I loved this place.  And I cried again.


And then there are the new friends I was making just then.  Essie was already our friend, and we would be leaving her way too soon.


But I'll tell you what I was really doing.  I was scanning faces for two ladies in particular.  I was looking for two ladies who had been my island mothers when I was a student Missionary.  They had been so kind to me, making me Pohnpeian dresses, giving beautiful hair combs to hold up my long hair, island style.


Inez Jano (on the left), and Elvira (on the right) had been my Pohnpeian mothers for one year, and in the photo above you can see them welcoming me to the island, back when I was 22 years old.  I had searched faces in the congregation at the evening week of prayer meetings, but hadn't found either of them.  I went around greeting every older woman I could find, asking them their names, in hope of finding my precious ladies, but I had not found them.  But during Sabbath School, a lady came and sat in the pew in front of me.  At an appropriate moment, I asked her her name, and oh, the joy, it was Elvira! (Shown here with her great-granddaughter.



Then she told me this sad story.  She had had a daughter, that I remembered to be not much different in age then myself.  She had gotten cancer, and died, just a month before.  Now Elvira has no one left, except her granddaughter and great-grandchildren.  She is very poor, and feels so alone.  She wondered if anyone remembered her at all.  Then she remembered her American daughters.  And she remembered me.  Would I remember her?  And then, I came, and here I was right now, sitting behind her.  I quickly moved to sit beside her, and bring her some comfort.  And once again, I was in tears.  How did I get to play such a role in the life of a lonely woman in her late 70s.  There I was.  I had found her, and she had me.  At least for a little while.

But where was Inez?  She hadn't seen Inez for a long time.  They used to be best friends, doing everything together, back when they were young.


Pastor Bill Roberts gave the sermon about the second coming, and getting ready for Jesus to come.  There will be no sickness or dying then.  No crying.  No separation.  No leaving friends.

I sat there wondering about Inez.  Would I see her again?

Pastor Bill had been an SM to Pohnpei a couple years before me.  I had known him at college and working at Sunset Lake Camp.  And now he was back on island giving a week of prayer at the school and church, and making me long for heaven.


After church I talked with Elvira and asked her again about Inez, who hadn't come to church.

"Does she live far away?"  "No, she lives close."

"Do you think we could go see her?"  "Yes!"

"Do you think she might come back with us to the potluck?"  "I don't know", she replied, but she thought that it would be fun to go see.

Frankie agreed to help us out, driving us over to Inez's house.



Inez came out, but she wasn't sure who I was, or what was going on, until I showed her the above photo, on my computer, from 1988, of the three of us together.  She got excited too, and agreed to come with us back to the church to eat.


While we were there talking, a very touching thing happened.  I presented Inez with a little gift, a small token of my love and thankfulness to her for her kindness to me in the past.  It was a piece of red fabric, a tropical/Hawaii type print, with hibiscus and leaves outlined in white.  I had already given Elvira a blue fabric with golden hibiscus and green leaves.  I heard Elvira standing behind me gasp, "Oh, it's red!"  I thought, she must have thought that was terrible, and that Inez didn't like red, or something.  But Araya heard the whole thing that I couldn't hear.

"She remembered!  Red is Inez's favorite color and blue is mine."

How did that happen?  Only God could have helped me choose the right colors for the two ladies, after so many years.

Earlier when I gave Elvira her piece of fabric, she told me she was so happy, because now she could make herself a nice church dress.  She had no money now, and couldn't afford one, but now she could.


Inez changed clothes, and then we loaded up and headed back to the church, in the old blue Toyota van, me, surrounded by two happy grandmas.   They walked me into the church, one on each arm.  I felt like I was royalty at a royal gathering.

 "Make way.  Make way.  Our daughter has come home."


The crowd of people moved aside like the red sea parted.  Inez and Elvira took me up to the front of the line, chattering to everyone in Pohnpeian, telling them who I was and why I was there and how happy they were.


 Inez is just shorter then me, and Elvira is just taller then I.  It seemed we belonged together.  I savored every second with them.  They made sure I got more then enough food.


I ate taro, breadfruit, rice, curry, bananas, pineapple, and a bunch of things I wasn't certain about, at least a bite, for memories sake, and to please all the ladies who brought something special to potluck.

I stop the story for now, and will continue on with Sabbath afternoon and branch Sabbath School in another post.

If you would like to read the previous parts of the story, which I posted in a more timely way, back in April, look in the side bar to find links to each chapter.

Comments

  1. Isn't it amazing--and I don't think that's even a strong enough word--how God works out little details like favorite colors and little reunions that mean the world? It seems like the tiniest taste of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome story! God was working out the details all along. Some how I totally missed the rest of the this series - will have to go back and read it. Thanks for sharing. Lisa :O)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two