Skip to main content

Delight in the Deliciousness of the LORD


This morning God brought me some new thoughts.  He took me to the interlinear Bible I had downloaded onto my computer, where I can look at the Hebrew or Greek or any verse of the Bible.  This morning I studied through the 10 commandments in Exodus 20.  Amazing.  I have never looked at them in this way.  I have new thoughts about almost every verse.  I don't know if I'll have time to write about all of them, so I'll start with the last one, because it is possibly the one that struck me the closest.

In the King James we read in Exodus 20:17, "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that [is] thy neighbour's."

The first translation of the Hebrew word for covet is "to delight in, and then gives a list of things you might delight in, including, "beauty, desire, goodly, pleasant (thing), precious (thing).

I had not understood the word covet before.  I think the definition was much more tame, something like "want", but really thinking that I shouldn't want something so much that I wanted to take it.  But I was clearly wrong.

Neighbor means "associate", which includes our neighbors, but also includes our brothers, companions and others.

House not only means the structure, but includes the household, and the family, and the things the house contains.

Then the verse goes on to list some of the things contained in a household, including his wife (really all the women in his home), his male and female servants, his bullock and his donkey (would this be his cars, and tools, in modern times),

So, in my journal, I rewrote this text as meaning in English, "You shall not delight in or desire the house and/or household  of your associate; his women, his servants, his bullock, his donkey or anything of his whole property."



More personally, and from a female's perspective.  I should not desire or spend my time delighting in the beauty of another woman's clothing, hair, face, or looks.  I shouldn't be desiring the possessions of my friends, or any other women in magazines, on the street, or on TV.  I shouldn't wish for their furniture, their apparent comforts, the luxuries of their cars or lifestyle.

And God is right, when I'm looking at what others have, and I don't have, I'm not happy.  It makes me envious of another person.

What is God's solution for this problem?  The answer came to me, "Delight thyself also in the LORD, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart."  Psalm 37:4.
,
To the Interlinear Bible I go.  "Enjoy the deliciousness (luxuries) of YAHWEH, and He shall give you the askings of your heart."

Could it be that there is something more delicious and luxurious the the fashions, hairstyle, good looks, furniture of my neighbor?  Could my God be the most delicious luxury that my heart desires.  Who else gives me the "askings of my heart".  My husband can't even do that very often.  But the eternal, supreme, God, my God, can, and desires to do so.

So today, Valentines day, instead of delighting in what my associates, or other people possess, I'm going to delight in the one who loves me, and gives me the desires of my heart.  There is so much to praise God about today.




And that takes us back around to the first commandment, "Thou shalt have no other God's before me."  Is there any other God like YAHWEH?  Is there anything or anyone on earth that compares to YAHWEH? Could it be that his commandment is about love too?  God isn't trying to keep us from something that we desire, He is trying to get us to focus on what our heart truly desires, and will satisfy us through and through, Him.  He isn't just another person.  He is the self-existent, eternal God.  And He loves us.

An enemy is trying to distract us from what my heart truly desire.  He is trying to get all of us to look away from God.  He makes makes cheep things look attractive.  He tries to get us to covet things that won't help us one bit, so we won't have time to seek after a relationship with the one who really loves us, satisfies to the core, and gives us eternal life. But we don't have to be tricked.  We have the word of God, and the 10 commandments to give us direction.  They are all about the love of our delicious God.

And by studying them my heart was satisfied this morning with His deliciousness.  What an amazing valentines story!  Much more to be desired the all the red-wrapped chocolates  in the stores!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two