Skip to main content

Blooming Where I Am Planted

Bitter Root Blooming in Adverse Conditions in Malheur, Oregon Desert
One of the most amazing characteristics of wildflowers is that they make the best of where ever their tender roots find soil.  Like in the parable of the sower, some plants just don't get a chance, the unthoughtful people, like birds, are after them; the heartless people, like gophers, chew on them; an endless string of difficulties may beat on them like the sun drying the very life out of them until their existance feels hard as asphalt.  There aren't many places to grow in a cement driveway, but some persistent plants do it, and seem to even thrive.  They bloom where they are planted, even if it is tough to do so, making blooms and seeds for a future generation.
Blooming in an Old Time Garbage Dump
But me, I'm struggling to be content.  Instead of being thankful for the all the blessings poured out and overflowing on my life, I'm often chafing with discontentment over my present circumstances.  One of the biggest things getting at me right now is the speed with which clutter reappears in the family room, the number of dirty dishes left on the counter, the dirty fingerprints smeared around the light switch, and the creamy sauce drying on the front of the stove.  My house is feeling more like a trap then a haven.  Irritation grips my voice, lashing at those nearest. Why can't they be more thoughtful and keep things pleasant?
Blooming Among the Rocks
Last weekend we we went away to the mountains for a little rest and stayed in a cute, clean, clutter-free cottage.  I could have stayed for a week.  The visual peace calmed me.  If only my own house could be that way.

But I wasn't planted there.  God put me here to grow.  Am I going to remain angry and discontent with my circumstances?  Or am I going to accept my lot and see what I can do about blooming even under my present circumstances; even when the floor I just swept has crumbs sprinkled on it, my shoulder hurts,  I'm tired, and the laundry is piled high again?  Sometimes it feels like I am the only one in the family who cares about how things look.

As I thought about my place in life, some things came to mind, that might help you too, if you too are chaffing instead of blooming.
Pushing Out of the Hard Soil, Blooming Right from the Start
1.  I can choose to make the best of the situation, instead of getting upset.

2.  I can work to decrease the number of things available to spread around as clutter.

3.  I can make sure the chore schedule is clear, easy to follow, and can follow up to make sure those responsible for chores are completing them.

4.  I can smile at the mess makers, and think good things about them.  I can be grateful to God that they have healthy fingers capable of smearing fingerprints.  I can be grateful for the walls that hold together our home, so that my children have a place to leave their finger prints.

Beautiful Bitter Root

5.  I can work around the house to make sure there are beautiful things for me to rest my eyes on, even in the midst of the clutter, things that remind me of spiritual truths to lift my eyes above the mundane.  And when those get messed up, I can lift my eyes even higher to the promises of God and sing out praise to the Eternal God of Love, who is with me even when my life is hard.

6.  I can practice gratitude.  Really I am grateful, but maybe it takes practice to keep focused on the blessings and not on the trials.  Writing them down helps.  Just how many things to be grateful for lay nearby unnoticed?

7.  I can make sure my own actions, voice and attitude is a thing of beauty and not a source of pain to my family.

8.  I can choose God's other-centered agape love, rather then serving myself.

9.  I can encourage my kids in the things they are doing right.  Even if I am dressed in the nicest of colors and styles, they would amount to nothing if everything in my head and coming out of my mouth is ugly and painful.


It is time for me to bloom as beautifully as I can in the place that God has planted me.  It is time for me to change my thinking and start enjoying my home and family more.   This is where God has planted me.  And no matter where he has planted me, I want to bloom.

Comments

  1. Ohhh...I needed to read this! I know I am where I am because God placed me here!...but I would rather have a pity party...well I think...uhhh...maybe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am blooming too!..Very nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great truths
    love the power of being thankful
    it changes everything
    great pics to go with your post
    thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two