Skip to main content

Guam 4: Tarague Beach Campout



One of the hightlights of our visit to Guam four years ago, was the campout at Tarague Beach.  It is organized by the Agat Church and Pathfinder Club.


Tarague Beach (clickable link) is on the Anderson Air Force Base, so you have to have special arrangements made to go on base, if you are a civilian.  I remembered this camping trip and wondered if we the church might be having one again.  So a couple months before we went to Guam this time, I contacted the church pastor to see if it was happening, and if we could come along.  He said yes, it would be the second weekend after we arrived on Guam.  We were able to make some pre-trip arrangements in time to get on the approved list.  Which mean that this weekend we were able to go on the Tarague Beach Campout.  Tarague is pronounced Tur-raw-gee.  Here is is more information about the history of the Tarague area. 


We arrived on Friday evening, just before dark, which was nice, so we could get oriented while it was still light.  The Pathfinder Club allowed us to use one of their tents and an inflatable mattress to sleep on


Kuniko, originally from Palu, cooked for everyone from the Agat group.  Two other Guam Pathfinder clubs were also there camping beside us.

The full moon rose orange, shortly after dark, right above the edge of the ocean. Many thanks to the Ironwood tree that helped me stabilize my camera enough to get a pretty good moon shot.


 It rained twice in the night, but for only a short time, so no one got really wet.


 Sabbath morning was beautiful. I got up just as the sun was rising and making the clouds by the ocean glow.

It was quite a warm day, so a little cloud of humidity seemed to be hovering around me, following me wherever I went.  I enjoyed being pretty free to do as I wished because I wasn't a Pathfinder member, nor did I have kids in attendance.






One thing that really caught was some black butterflies congregating around a tree.  Actually it wasn't just "some" butterflies, it was a very large number of butterflies.



 They are black with some tiny black dots on the outside wings.



When they sit down, they hold their wings shut and then only occasionally they will briefly open them so you can see their beautiful periwinkle blue circles they have been hiding.

I asked quite a few people what kind they were, and no one knew.  A few even said it was the only kind of butterfly on Guam, which I knew was not true, because I had seen others on island already.  This black one is just the most common one.



When I got back to wifi I had to do some digging to figure out what this butterfly is.  It was a bit tricky, because I learned that there are ones on different islands with different color patterns on the inside wings, that are still the same butterfly.  It has an amazing name of Blue Banded King Crow, Euploea eunice.  Here is an online guide to the Butterflies of Micronesia, by Ilse H. Schreiner and Donald M. Nafus, complete with color plates.  See page 23 and 24, color plate 7.


Another black butterfly I noticed was a type of Swallowtail, called a Common Morman.  It hung out in the parking lot a little while and then took off.


Sabbath lunch was yummy haystacks.  Afterward, everyone sat around and talked and rested through the hottest part of the day.


Around 4:00 the Pathfinders walked to some cave, and Rob and I headed out for a walk on the beach, because that is the place I always long to be, watching waves come and go.



The northern part of the island has lots of limestone, including the beach.  These rocky piles are made of limestone.

 
The sand varies in quality, but it is mostly white, with some tan/orange colored sand.


 Among the tan/orange sand is some star sand.


Star sand is just over 1mm across, and clearly star shaped. (Note the round pieces of "sand" in the upper right of the above photo, and their size relation to the star sand.)  It actually sticks to you more than ordinary sand, due to their tiny points.


Unlike most other sand on the beach, which is ground up shells and rocks, star sand is the exoskeletons of marine protozoa, called Foraminifera.  (The star sand in the photo below was photographed with my macro lens, and then enlarged on the computer.)


When the creature dies, the shells remain, and are washed up to the beach with the tide.  There is a famous beach in Okinawa, Japan with start sand, but the northern tip of Guam also has it.  I took these close up photos with my macro lens on white paper, once I was back at home


Another component of the sand is little round disks, some with holes. These also appear to be the home of some kind of organism, but I haven't yet figured out what.  They are much larger than the star sand, maybe 3 - 5 mm across.  If you know what they are, please let me know.


My favorite part of the beach walk was the waves on the reef, not far from the beach.


You could see a rise of water headed toward the reef, watch rise, crest, and then fall over the edge, crashing into white foam.


Over and over I watched this happen with fascination.  I love the changing colors, the movement, the beauty of these waves of water.


As we walked along the beach we saw the usual litter of objects in the high tide line.  Beaches on the Oregon Coast usually is full of driftwood, Kelp, broken shells, rocks and other natural items.  Occasional there are plastic items washed ashore.



On Guam the high tide line is full of non-biodegradable garbage from people, towns and boats.  There was an amazing number of flip flops in this beach junk, almost all missing their mates, except for the unusable aqua pair of in the above photo.  There were many plastic bottles, lids, and other mysterious bits of plastic.


I found a tooth brush, and even an intact light bulb.  It was burned out, but still intact.


Rob made the coolest find, just steps away from the light bulb, a small, glass, Japanese fishing float.  We found a few of those on the Oregon Coast when I was a young girl, but I haven't seen one out there since.


What I can't figure out is how all those Pathfinders walked by this place, and no one saw the float before us. 

We also saw Hermit Crabs everywhere.


Here is the largest one I noticed, and the smallest one that a Pathfinder found, just bigger than a grain of rice.


Most of the time if you saw a shell, it contained a hermit crab.  but a few shells were empty.


I discovered that bivalves are most likely to be uninhabited.  Money Cowries and Hebrew Cones are also usually up for grabs, along with Limpets.



On Sunday morning, I was out early to watch the sunrise again, which was good because it was a little bit different than the morning before.  The biggest treat while I was out was to spot a bird flying by.  Birds are not common Guam, due the evil Brown Tree Snake that eats bird eggs for dinner. 


While I was watching the sun rise to my wonderful surprise a Pacific Reef Heron flew right past me and landed on some rocks.


 I could only see it in silhouette, since it was between me and the sun, but I still found it beautiful and very special.

On Sunday morning the Pathfinders worked on camping skills, such as fire building.  Why do they need a fire when R45the temperatures are over 80 degrees?  I am not quite sure.  But they were learning to start fires without matches, in a rainy drizzle.  That's impressive.


I grabbed my paint kit, and decided to try a plein air watercolor.  The sea was looking beautiful, with several shades of aqua.  But just as I started to paint, the light changed, and so the colors changed, and I had to paint the colors from my imagination.  Then it started to rain, and I had to dash for the shelter.


After a while, I was back outside, at a different picnic table, and a different tree in front of me.  I guess that is one of the risks of plein air painting.






The painting is in my travel watercolor journal, to remind me of the lovely time I had at the beach on the northern tip of Guam.  

I hope my readers also enjoyed this mini vacation away from everyday life, and took a few minutes to breath deeply and enjoy the beauty of God's creation.





Comments

  1. It has been a pleasant mini vacation, indeed! I'm glad you're posting here a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pohnpei, Part 3: Liduhduhniap Falls

(Note to those who weren't with me on Pohnpei in 1988.  You are welcome to listen in, but I am writing mainly for my fellow teachers, myself, and my family.  There will be some things you won't understand.  Just skim those parts, if you wish.) We stayed in this lovely building.  I think it used to be painted blue.  The lower floor used to be Mr. Quail's house.  The lower left apartment was Mr. Keith's.  Remember him?  The maintenance man?  We stayed in his apartment.  The building is still in good condition, but the cupboards and cabinets need help.  The particle board has swelled after all these years, and the drawers no longer work.  The building behind "Mr. Quail's place" is a cafeteria on the ground floor with  girls housing up above.  The boys are in the building that the nice Philippino lady, I think her name was Ramie, who taught typing lived in.  And there are a couple guys in the apartment in the top left of the elementary building.  I th

Wooden Bridge to a Huckleberry Trail called Mocus Point

You might be anticipating photos of the wildflowers of the Beartooth.  Those are coming, but first before we got there we had to drive through Idaho.  The most direct route follows the Lochsa River from Lewiston, ID to Missoula, MT along Highway 12, also known as the Northwest Passage Scenic Byway, because Lewis and Clark followed this route back home.  If you you haven't driven that road before, I definitely recommend it for your next road trip.  Here is a link to a publication about the road.   http://npshistory.com/publications/usfs/region/1/nez-perce/hwy-12.pdf I think there are 5 wooden suspension bridges over the Lochsa that is for foot and pack animal traffic only and crosses over to a trail. The one we stopped at is at mile post 143.  Sometime long ago, when my kids were little, we stopped there and I remember William taking a lot of photos down under the bridge with a camera we were letting him use.  It seems this was an important part of his beginnings in photography.  Th

Prius Camper Vacation

Prius Camper and Long Lake on the Beartooth Highway My husband and I went on vacation for a couple weeks in July in our camper, our Prius Camper. I'd seen videos about people doing this since I bought my 2007 Prius. I knew I wanted to try this at least once. We had wanted to drive to Alaska this summer to celebrate our 25th anniversary, but Mr. Covid is keeping the borders closed to all but essential workers. We had to come up with alternative plans and stay closer to home. We needed a vacation and some time of restoration in nature more than ever after a whole spring quarter of isolation and intense online work activity. While Rob was finishing up his final responsibilities, I got our Prius camper ready. The foundation of the bed is a piece of nice, thin, Masonite board, cut to size to level out the changes in elevation when the seats are down. The next layer is some floor mats made for shops that fit together like a puzzle from Harbor Freight. Then came the bed roll. This was two